Weird West Archetypes & Monsters
- Originally by Jim Parkin, reproduced with permission.
Not big enough for the both of us
- Dueling pistols (d6+d6) or sawed-off (d8, blast, short-range, bulky)
- Half-stocked bandoleer
- Impressive hat
Quick Draw: Whenever you face a ranged attacker at range, your attacks are enhanced.
What vendetta can’t you forget?
- What they made you do in the war
- That one who swept away your lover
- Those monsters who killed your dog
- How you traded your soul for skill
- When they humiliated you in public
- How you’ve been extorted in dire debt
Begin with one. Gain another when you recover a Treasure or best a rival.
- Rambler: You can take two points of fatigue per inventory slot.
- Teetotaler: You don’t drink a sip, but any intoxicated attacker is impaired against you.
- Prospector: You can sniff out natural resources at all times, especially those buried.
- Charlatan: Deals made with strangers are always favorable, but you gain a reputation…
- Officer: Your ties to the military command respect and favors from other soldiers.
Strange things are afoot…
- A curious, time-lost garment (1 armor)
- Mysterious, useful tool from a different era (save against corruption to use)
- A journal filled with eccentric insights across the years
Temporal Dissonance: Save against corruption to shift 1d4 minutes forward or backward.
How did you get here?
- Arcane incantation
- Souped-up time vehicle
- Lost a bet with a demigod
- I’m not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens
- Wish made by someone else
- Unfortunate accident
Begin with one. Gain another when you recover a Treasure or solve a paradox.
- Tourist: Your HP is always doubled if you’re awkwardly out of place to bystanders.
- Layabout: You always know where to find rest, relaxation, and kind folks in the know.
- Memorist: You can recall facts from the future. Lose 1d4 WIL permanently for each memory.
- Doomer: It always goes downhill. You’re unaffected by madness, confusion, and hope.
- Savant: You choose (rather than rolling) when you gain an aspect of any kind.
Some animals are more equal than others
- Comfortable barding (1 armor)
- Cross-back satchel (+2 inventory slots)
- Basket of root vegetables
Natural Knack: You speak with animals, sense weather changes, and desire shinies.
How are you able to think and speak?
- Uplifted deliberately by magic
- Uplifted deliberately by technology
- Spiritual possession, willing or otherwise
- Forged a pact with a greater power
- The Stars Were Right
- Sheer primal willpower
Begin with one. Gain another when you recover a Treasure or make an unconditional friend.
- Moontouched: You can conjure bright moonlight around your body and share dreams.
- Thoroughbred: You’re a prime specimen. All reactions or social roll results are +2 for you.
- Wildhide: If you’re forced to make a STR save in melee combat, your attacker loses 1d4 STR.
- Huckleberry: Other animals are amenable to harmless small favors for you. It’s requited.
- Truffler: Your sense of smell is unparalled and can pick up even deliberately masked odors.
Here, bite down on this…
- An honest-to-goodness bonesaw (d6)
- A conspicuous bag filled with vials and knives (bulky)
- A stained, padded smock covered in pockets
Field Medicine: You can heal d4 attribute damage under duress, then the target is deprived.
What is your area of expertise?
Begin with one. Gain another when you recover a Treasure or stabilize a VIP at death’s door.
- Ossophile: You can animate bones into rickety, but useful, minor constructs. It’s very creepy.
- Collector: Medical billing is sticky business. You know if anyone owes a debt to anyone else.
- Tincturer: You can identify and mix herbs and natural reagents into useful tonics and balms.
- Ironbelly: Years of hard living and study have conditioned you with immunity to all poison.
- Anatomist: Your keen insight of the body allows you to add d6 DEX damage to your attacks.
10 HP, 2 Armor, 18 STR, 6 WIL, trample and horns (d6, blast)
- Hulking green-scaled quadruped with wide horns and long, hooved front legs
- Can only be harmed with silvered weapons, especially weak to projectiles
- Critical damage: Gore with horns, causing internal bleeding, target is deprived
3 HP, 4 STR, 16 DEX, flying rake (d6+d6)
- Unassuming and docile tawny rabbit with 2-8 point racks
- Can leap 20+ feet and land on a target with fangs and antlers
13 HP, 1 Armor, 14 STR, beak (d10)
- Huge, intelligent, six-limbed human-pterodactyl hybrid with secretive society and fell rites
- Rumored to be the offspring of heinous godlings from the Cold Dark
- Critical damage: save against corruption
3 HP, 18 WIL, doom gaze (d8)
- Tumbling foliage resembling and sounding like clanking, dry bones
- Forms into skull shapes and focuses eldritch light from eyes when provoked
- Critical damage: d8 WIL loss, 0 WIL transforms target into more Skullweed
6 HP, 2 armor, 14 STR, 14 DEX, energy rifle (d8)
- Metallic humanoid with broad shoulders and one large, red optical sensor
- Connected to other sentries by Tarodyne network, can quickly summon backup
? HP, 20 DEX, slippery suffocation (d6 to STR)
- Animated pools of oil which can assume vaguely corporeal shape
- Can only be harmed by environmental effects like freezing or fire
8 HP, 3 armor, 16 STR, 16 DEX, sharpshootin’ blunderbuss (d10+d10) and bowie knife (d8)
- Bounty hunter with salvaged titanium plating under her poncho
- Arguably the best shot in the wilderness, acclaimed hired gun and trophy shooter
- Crippling alcoholism, cannot function without easy access to strong liquor
3 HP, 14 DEX, bite (d6) or whipping impact (d6)
- Tough, leathery serpents which roll up on themselves like bicycle wheels
- Can slither, side-wind, and rocket forward with enough rolling momentum
10 HP, 3 armor, 12 STR, 2 WIL, gluten hammer (d8)
- Carnivorous, roughly humanoid shambling mounds of lactic bread dough
- Born out of weird forces in population centers, a scourge on isolated homesteads
- Weak to fire, but able to spread and propagate quickly in water or grain storage
3 HP, 1 armor, bony fingers (d8, blast)
- Groups of 2d6 appear like inert, folded-up child skeletons with elongated heads
- Can move alarmingly fast, attacking with long hands and over-extended jaws
- Critical damage: WIL save or become corrupted (impaired)