Rot King’s Sanctum
- Based on the The Rot King’s Sanctum by Emiel Bovien.
- Conversion by Pat Eyler
- I created this conversion using both the DURF and OSR editions of the Rot King’s Sanctum so I could run this as a trial adventure for a potential upcoming Cairn campaign. Yochai Gal was very helpful in improving this conversion.
- Stats for Melvin are from the Gnome and stats for the Shadow in the Monsters list on the Cairn RPG Website.
- Stats for Wererat are based on those created by @mapolon on the Cairn RPG Discord
Monsters or NPCs
8 HP, 9 STR, 10 DEX, 8 WIL, tentacles (d8+d8 blast)
- Critical Damage: target is paralyzed, to be devoured later
- Can walk on walls, ceilings, etc.
4 HP, 11 STR, 10 DEX, 9 WIL, dagger (d6)
4 HP, 1 Armor, 12 STR, 10 DEX, 11 WIL, mace (d8)
2 HP, 6 STR, 12 DEX, 11 WIL, bite (d8 blast) detachment
- Can only be harmed by fire, smoke, or spells.
Melvin (escaping Prisoner)
2 HP, 6 STR, 12 DEX, 10 WIL,
- Short humanoid with long nose and ears. Live underground or deep in forests.
- Intelligent tinker, loves messing with any kind of mechanism. Can easily be convinced by the promise of something novel or uncommon.
- Can understand and communicate with small mammals like moles or squirrels.
4 HP, 1 Armor, 9 STR, 13 DEX, 10 WIL, rake (d6)
- Immune to sleep or charm spells
- When saving for critical damage (regardless of the outcome) there is 3-in-6 chance they release a *cloud of spores* against their assailant.
- Cloud of Spores: Victim makes a STR save or dies within 6 rounds
6 HP, 2 Armor, 10 STR, 10 DEX, 11 WIL, mace (d8)
- Spellbook: Nithis’ Rot: Target’s flesh rots away in one area (1d4 STR loss)
4 HP, 6 STR, 12 DEX, 11 WIL, bite (d3) detachment
- Afraid of fire
12 HP, 2 Armor, 15 STR, 10 DEX, 11 WIL, king’s mace (d8)
Summon Swarm - 1d4 times per day, the Rot King can release a Fly Swarm from their body.
Spells (1x each):
- Cause Wounds: Target loses d8 STR. Grasp only.
- Grasp of Yahzahar: Target is grappled by a shadowy hand and held in place for 1d4 rounds. A STR save is required to escape before the spell ends.
- Swarm Form: Transofmrs into a swarm of bugs, rats or bats.
6 HP, 8 STR, 10 DEX, 14 WIL, draining touch (d6, ignores armor)
- Incorporeal monsters that look like animated shadows.
- Unharmed by mundane attacks, sleep or mind control.
- Critical Damage: Target loses another d4 STR, if reduced to 0 STR, they become a shadow.
Wererat: 6 HP, 11 STR, 14 DEX, 8 WIL, claws (d6+d6), bite (d8)
- Critical Damage (from a were rat bite) contract lycanthropy.
- Can summon a rat swarm once per day, the rats arrive in 1d4 rounds.
- Can appear as either a human or a humanoid rat.
- Mundane attacks are impaired against a wererat, but weapons made of silver are enhanced.
Pressure Plate/Gas Trap
- Paralyzing gas, WIL save or be paralyzed for 1d4 turns.
Mace (d8, see note)
- Enhanced damage against non-magical opponents
Ring of Spell Turning
- The wearer can redirect a spell that strikes them back on the caster. Treat this as casting a spell under difficult conditions.
- Mushrooms are deadly (STR save or die). Eating a cooked mushroom heals a point of STR.
- armor exposed to the acid will be reduced by 1 pt
- creatures exposed to the acid will take 3 pts of damage
Potion of Speed
- Gain a second action each combat round, lasts 1 turn, 1 use
Potion of Smoke Form
- As the spell, lasts 1 turn
Spellbook of Magic Dampener
- Nearby magical effects are reduced in potency for one hour.
Spellbook of Fireball
- Throw an exploding ball of fire that does 1d6 STR damage to an area.
- +1 damage, 3 usage dots, roll a d6 on use, on a 6 mark a dot
- As the spell Spider Climb.
Sleeping Powder Trap
- Str Save or fall asleep for 2d4 turns
Pool of black liquid
- Creatures take 1d3 STR per round while touching the liquid. If reduced to 0 STR, they die and turn into black liquid that is drawn into the pool.
Potion of Cure Wounds
- as the spell
- +1 damage
- Magic Damper
- Raise Spirit
- Fireball (see above)
Book of the Will of Nithis
- WIL save to read. On a fail lose 1d6 WIL. On a success gain 1 WIL (permanent).
- Shoots lightning bolts at each creature touching the sarcophagous, dealing 2d6 STR damage.
Rod of Cancellation
- Drains the magic from one item it touches then crumbles into dust.
Scroll of Lighting Strike
- Electricity flings from your fingertips doing 1d12 damage (blast) in a line.
Scroll of Animate Object
- An object obeys your commands as best it can.
Scroll of Elemental Wall
- You summon a wall of fire, ice, water, or stone up to 20ft wide.